Breeding of markhors has now increased significantly

PESHAWAR:

An American hunted a nine-year-old Kashmiri Markhor in Toshi Shasha Game Reserve in Lower Chitral. The US citizen, Deron James Millman, secured the bid for this hunt from the wildlife department after paying a hefty amount of Rs65 million or $232,000.

This is reportedly the highest bid paid for trophy hunting in Lower Chitral. According to the wildlife department, the markhor’s horn measured 45 inches, with the highest recorded in the conservative areas of Chitral at 53 inches.

A wildlife department official explained that 70% of the funds acquired from the trophy hunting permit would be retained locally, while the remaining 30% would be directed to the government’s treasury.

Initially, the number of markhors in Chitral was steadily declining but since the establishment of conservancies and game reserves with the local community’s participation, they have been increasing.

The breeding of markhors has now increased significantly and now they number in the thousands.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By RelationsTimes
Load More In Information

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

President calls for making a fresh start to end political polarisation

Addresses joint session for 7th time, says fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect must …